Raw rice 100 gms(1/2 cup)
Moong dhal 50 gms(1/4 cup)
Water 2 cups
Milk 1 cup
Jaggery ¾ cup
Ghee 1 tablespoon
Crushed cardamom ½ tsp
- Dry roast moong dhal in a pan for few minutes till the aroma comes.
2. Then mix dhal and rice. Wash them and keep aside.
3. In a pot, add water and milk. Boil them.
4. Once the water and milk mixture rises up, keep the flame simmer and add rice and dhal to it. Mix well and cook them in a low flame.
5. In the meantime, add ¼ cup water into jaggery and boil it.
6. Once the jaggery melts, switch off the flame and filter the jaggery water and keep aside.
7. After the rice and dhal are well cooked and mushy, pour the jaggery water and add cardamom powder into the rice and dhal mixture. Stir well till the Pongal becomes semi liquid consistency.
8. Finally, in a pan, heat ghee and fry cashews and raisins. Add them to the Pongal and stir well.